Thursday, January 8, 2009

Class

So I wrote this while sitting in my Theater History class, in which we were talking about historiology, which is the idea that the way an event is recorded or written down is just as important, if not more important than the event itself. We got into a discussion about the news and the way it is presented and the different spins that different people and stations place on the same news tidbits, sometimes changing the event entirely. The professor concluded that this is comparable to someone from our day going to speak with someone from Shakespeare’s time, because the “language of intelligibility” is vastly different. It made me think, huh, I should probably watch more news. But it also got me thinking about my major, pre-communications. The more that I paid attention in the class I realized that I really have chosen a good major for myself. I just find that sort of thing, concerning communications and perspective, crazy fascinating, and to be honest I could probably talk about that kind of thing all day long

Another funny note was when we were talking about differences of perspective, and one girl mentioned how she and her roommates saw mamma mia, but when it was over she thought it wasn’t very good because some people couldn’t sing or act, but her roommates were absolutely in love with it. She referenced Pierce Brosnan, and our professor just stopped and looked at her with a smile, and replied, “I don’t care if he can sing or not.” Needless to say, there was a lot of laughter, and she received a rousing round of applause.

Another funny thing one of my professors said: ON the first day of my mass communications calss, my professor made a comment which he considered very funny. "Television is just a media box for couch potatoes."

No comments: