Saturday, December 5, 2009

Is feminism dead?


Ok. So here we are. Mormon ladies living in Provo, going to BYU.

I get it. WE're typically characterized as homemakers, ohh, we love baking, and the priesthood, and boys. Sooooooooooo much.

I'll tell you something that makes me sick.

So I'm on the "relief society meeting committee," formally known as the "enrichment committee."

I like decorating cakes. Its one of the few stereotypically very feminine things I do, activity wise. I'm no expert, but I know my way around a crumb coat and a frosting tube, if you know what I mean. So when the enrichment committee leader says she wants to do a cake decorating activity, I get volunteered. I don't even mind doing it. I think its a fun thing other people could do too.

I just got an email from said leader.

Here is what it said. I will give you the general gist of it.

Basically, it was about getting organized for the activity next week, blah blah blah. but THEN, I saw a little important piece of information that I hadn't known about.

Apparently, after we, the relief society, decorate our little cupcakes, courtesy of schooling from myself and another girl, we are going to go caroling and bring them to other people.

Would you like to know who?
.....
.......
.........
We're "going caroling" to the guys apartments. We're baking boys cupcakes and singing to them.
I kid you not.

AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO'S UPSET ABOUT THIS???????????!!!!???

Is feminism dead?!??

I get that we "love the priesthood holders" and everything. That's just fine and dandy. But I think its STUPID, I repeat, STUUUUUPID for us to go singing at their doors offering cupcakes.

Why can't we give them to people we know who've had a bad day, or maybe a nice nursing home, or even the residents of the surrounding neighborhoods?

This literally makes me feel sick to my stomach. I feel like all we're doing is perpetuating stereotypes, and pushing the image that women ought to be domestic, humble, and bake stuff for dudes all the time.

And I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATEEEEEeE that.

No comments: