Friday, November 18, 2011

An unconventionally serious post.



A blog that I personally generally have had a great trust in, that tends to promote good causes and great messages to women in the community recently recommended I subscribe to something called "One Million Moms." I was vaguely interested, and decided to sign up for their mailing list without really checking out the website entirely, trusting the judgement of the person that recommended it to me. I knew they wouldn't constantly spam me, promising an email about once a month-- pretty liberal and not at all stifling by normal means.

I got an email from them a little while later, and decided to read it and see what the promoters were urging their readers to speak out about. After reading it, I was severely disappointed. It was all about how the fact that there was a gay teenager portrayed on a popular (and, i'll acknowledge it, stupid,) teen tv drama. The "moms" behind this organization seem to believe that because they weren't wholeheartedly condemning the character's actions, that the TV show was actually promoting children to come out as gay and actually CONVINCE them that they ARE homosexual even if they don't associate themselves as such. A completely RIDICULOUS!! accusation. Here is a quote from that email itself:

The Trevor Helpline promotion aired during the "Beat It" episode of Teen Nick's Degrassi series when teen Riley, the openly gay football captain and starting quarterback, declined reparative therapy for his homosexuality. Not only is Teen Nick now featuring a show that encourages the nation's youth to embrace alternate lifestyles, but the family retail chain Target Corporation is helping through sponsorship.... They are openly recruiting teens and children to become 'gay' on a program that also promotes the transgender and homosexual lifestyle.

I'm sorry, but I just think this is about the stupidest thing for them to say. Now I know that not everyone would agree with me, but it sounds to me like the women behind OMM are promoting some seriously bigoted and destructive ideas themselves. They are promoting the idea that if someone think differently, that there is something fundamentally wrong with them, and are practically trying to tell these people to hate themselves for the thoughts they are having. Even if you don't agree with their "alternative lifestyle," there has got to be a better way to come at and help them other than just saying that it is wrong. I don't see that is is going to really accomplish anything for that individual, and that type of behavior will probably make you more enemies than friends.

I unsubscribed from OMM today. Some of their issues are valid and noble, I acknowledge that. But there are others that are simply killjoy, like the attempt to remove the Ben and Jerry's "Schweddy Balls" flavor from stores, and completely unnecessary. Others are simply too judgmental and bigoted for me to feel like I can give any support to. I'll respect anyone that does, I just don't want to sign my name to something I just cannot agree with.

No comments: